An American couple was on a hike between Sisimiut and Kangerlussuaq, when they were suddenly caught in a thick smoke fog, which was caused from wild fires in the area.

Mads Lynge Christiansen from Nuuk Police emphasizes that the couple are not as such at risk of being swallowed up by the natural fires themselves, but when heather burns it triggers a very thick smoke, which can be incredibly difficult to orientate in.

– Fortunately, the couple had an emergency transmitter connected to a satellite and rescue center where we received the message. I would encourage others who are on walks in the Greenlandic nature to bring these smart spotlights, says the police.

Updated with a new picture of the area, taken 12/7-2019 around 10:25pm